Monday, January 14, 2008

Seize the Moment


My first semester of college will be one that I will never forget. I feel like I have grown over the past four months and learned to appreciate my life. When New Years came around, I thought about what my resolution would be. After contemplating several days, I decided that my one resolution would be to make sure I was happy 99% of the time. This encompasses so many of the struggles I experienced during my first semester at The University of Texas.

My title "Seize the Moment" also relates to me wanting to be happy most of the time. I have always been a person that over analyze situations to the fullest existent, which usually left me unsatisfied and emotionally drained in the end. I have come to learn that it is good to plan for the future but to not wrap my head around something that I really don't have control over. I do believe that our future is in our hands, but we cannot predict every obstacle or happy moment we are to face. So, I now focus on enjoying the present and take all that I can from my classes and experiences that I endure everyday.

I feel that I did not "seize the moment" enough first semester. There were several opportunities I wish I would have taken advantage of. For example, the lectures and assignments given to me in my Research Methods class. Charlotte mentioned this particular class and Dr. Laude in her discussion, who was also my Professor. In fact, Charlotte and others in our class attended Dr. Laude's discussions and had the same opportunity as me. At the beginning of the semester, Dr. Laude explained the obstacles that came along with providing top of the line resources for first and second year undergraduates and how lucky we were to be in touch with those particular resources. Well I guess his words just went in one ear and out the other because I did not appreciate his class until the very end. I also remember my appointed visit with Dr. Laude, which make me realize what a huge mistake I had made.

Another class I failed to appreciate fully was this one, World Literature. Professor Bump has introduced me into a different type of learning and different aspects of the world I did not know existed. I can blame my ungratefulness on the average education I received from Crosby High School, but I have learned to take responsibility for my actions. In Bump's class we were introduced to so many things, which you all know. I guess when I learned of a new assignment, I would just focus on completing the assignment and not on the big picture. For example, the Ramayana and Second Life. I still don't think I really know alot about the Ramayana and that is because I failed to really look into the story and think about why Professor Bump wanted us to explore this part of history. The main reason why I could not appreciate and learn from all of our assignments is because of time management. I was the biggest procrastinator ever last semester. I am not really sure why, but I think it was because I felt that I did not have to make a big adjustment in my study habits. I COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG.

I am really happy that I hit rock bottom my first semester in college because now I know how it feels to have your grades reflect the work you put into it. Since I do plan on being happy 99% of the time, I know that procrastination can no longer be apart of my life because I will be stressed out when those deadlines are approaching at rapid speeds.

I am really fortunate to be in this class because I have met some extraordinary individuals and have been introduced to all parts of the world. I look forward to growing more intellectually and getting closer to everyone in the class.

1 comment:

muralidharan said...

The connection between the essence of the Bhagavad Gita, Bible (especially the Sermon on the Mount, and the sayings: I am that 'I am', and Be still and 'know' God) and Ramana Maharshi's Who am I? always made me wonder are these all one and the same being put differently by different beings at different times and situations? We are all one.