Monday, February 18, 2008

Who Am I?


It was no surprise to me when I read my results after taking the Jung Typology Test. It’s really weird to me that a test made by someone, who has never met me a day in their life, can determine certain things about me based on a series of questions. I will admit I’m a little skeptic when it comes to tests or so called psychics being able to tell you about yourself.


About two years, I went on a trip to Atlantic City in New Jersey. As my cousin Britney and I were walking on the boardwalk, we noticed the sign about having your palms read. We both just kind of stood there for a couple of seconds contemplating if we wanted to do it; before we could make up our minds, the woman sitting outside of the shop said, “Girls come on in.” The strange part about it is that we both just started walking into her shop at the same time. We didn’t even look at each other; it just seemed as if the woman knew exactly what we wanted to do, but we were to coward to tell the each other how we felt. To make a long story short, I left out of the palm reader’s shop in tears and in shock. She touched on things about me that I had never shared with anyone. She could tell me about certain situations of my life that was very dear to me. The same thing happened with my cousin. The palm reader hit on a major obstacle Britney had been dealing with internally and had also not shared with anyone. Now, this could all just be a coincidence, but I’m personally not as much of a skeptic as I was before due to my experience. The image illustrates the essence of having your palm read; it can be tranquil along with emotional. I will always remember that woman with the bluest eyes I had ever seen and the softest hands I have ever touched read my palm.

I had a similar experience when taking the Jung Typology Test. It confirmed details about me that I already knew were there and opened my eyes to some flaws that I try to ignore. The fact that I am an extravert is evident because I love to talk. I am not afraid to voice my opinion whether it’s right or wrong. The test showed that I am a moderately expressed extravert, which is true. Sometimes I am quiet on some issues; I don’t have the urge to always express my views openly. When it comes to writing, my extraverted style shines through. I “tend to leap into writing with little planning” (Meyers-Briggs, 398). I leap just like the image illustrates, though not as graceful. Leaping makes me feel free to express whatever I want; just being able to throw ideas out and see where it takes really helps in my writing process. When I started to write P4 “What’s Your Passion,” there was no outline; I just typed whatever came to mind. I will later go back and reorganize some things, but I wanted to just type until the thoughts stopped coming to me. It helps me to flow write, the ability to just let my mind wander and let my fingers type everything that comes to mind.

I am also extraverted when it comes to writing in the way that I “may not revise unless [I] get spoken feedback” (Meyers-Briggs, 398). This is something I am in denial about, but I do not like revising papers that much because I think it takes away from your original thoughts. I do believe in some revision like correcting grammar or punctuation; when revision makes you change ideas, that’s when I tend to look down on it.

The Jung Test made me realize how structured I can be. For example, when it comes to my classes, I need a Professor that is organized and can produce accurate and detailed syllabuses. Nothing drives me crazy more than when I am confused about something and don’t know what’s going on. Like the image shows, I will literally want to pull my hair out when I am confused. It makes me discombobulated. Other than when it comes to writing papers, I have to have a plan. I need to know what I am doing ahead of time; otherwise, it can cause me to have something similar to a panic attack. Along with me being a structured person, when it comes to completing task, I want “clear [assignments] and specific objectives, clear instructions” (Meyers-Briggs, 394). I just want to get straight to the point; I don’t like to ponder over directions. Directions are supposed to instruct you on what to do. Sometimes certain Professors will ask open ended questions then bash you on your answer because obviously it was different from theirs. I just want teachers or Professors to state exactly what they want so there is no misunderstandings in what you are suppose to be doing.

The final characteristic the Jung Typology test touched on was ability to evoke feelings when I am writing and dealing with others. I automatically sympathize with people; I think it was something I was born with because I have not been able to stop showing my emotions even when I don’t want to. When I write I “prefer topics [I] can care about” and “tend to draw upon personal experience” (Meyers-Briggs, 403). I personally write better when it is an important issue to me because then I write from my heart. On topics I don’t care about, I tend to bullshit my way through. Why spend your time writing about something you really don’t want to write about? Evoking my feelings in my writing makes “it difficult to write critically if [I] believe that the criticisms may hurt someone’s feelings” (Meyers-Briggs, 403). I don’t think it’s a bad thing to consider the feelings of others when writing. No one wants to be offended or feel uncomfortable. I’m not saying that this applies to everyone, but it applies to me because I always take others’ feelings to heart when I make decisions.

I really appreciated my results from the Jung Typology test. They were interesting and confirmed my writing and learning skills.


Your Type is
ESFJ

Extraverted

Sensing

Feeling

Judging

Strength of the preferences %

44

38

62

33


ESFJ type description by D.Keirsey
ESFJ Career Choices by Jung Career Indicator™ Provides the list of occupations most suitable for your type taking into account the type formula and strength of the preferences. Based on a sample representing 40 most popular and high-demand occupations.
ESFJ type description by J. Butt and M.M. Heiss

Qualitative analysis of your type formula


You are:

  • moderately expressed extravert
  • moderately expressed sensing personality
  • distinctively expressed feeling personality
moderately expressed judging personality



No comments: